It’s September again. “Season of mists and mellow fruitfulness” and all that malarkey. Time to get tangled in the hedgerows, bramble-spiked and berry splattered. It’s also Oxfam’s annual #SecondHandSeptember campaign… but don’t worry if you aren’t a fan of charity shops and jumble sales: There are a few ways you can get involved without ever setting foot in a chazza.
1. Try a scheme such as Finisterre x Reskinned or Revivo or Paramo Re-store Adventure to find reconditioned ethical brands.
The official Finisterre preloved outdoor clothing store.
The most sustainable way to shop for preloved clothing. Finisterre approved, new and repaired insulated jackets, outdoor wear and clothing at 60% off RRP.
Revivo | Running Trainers & Everyday Barefoot Shoes
Revivo by Vivobarefoot is designed to keep our footwear on feet and away from landfill. Revivo shoes are professionally reconditioned to extend their life as long as possible
Páramo Re-store Adventure | eBay Stores
Páramo waterproofs are engineered not to become obsolete; durability has always been a design requirement and Páramo’s Recycling Scheme allows garments to continue their adventures, with a new owner, minimising impact on the environment. The unique Nikwax Analogy® waterproof fabric system is indef…
2. Buy from a second hand specialist like Nearly New Cashmere or Reboxed
Nearly New Cashmere Co.
Shop rescued and restored 100% cashmere knitwear at affordable prices.
Refurbished iPhones & Refurbished Samsungs: Buy & Recycle ∙ Reboxed®
Buy refurbished iPhones, Samsungs, Airpods & Eco-cases from Reboxed! We can save you 40% on refurbished Apply iPhones & Reconditioned Samsung phones.
3. Use a charity shop website. Oxfam have got loads of great stuff on theirs.
Oxfam's Online Shop
Find a bargain or a unique treasure in Oxfam’s Online Shop and join thousands of supporters who help us to fight poverty and injustice around the world. Choose from thousands of donated and new products or buy a loved one a fun and quirky charity gift from Oxfam Unwrapped. The proceeds will go towards our life changing work.
4. Hunt for the exact item you want on eBay. Save a search. Play the long game – I tried on this Bibico dress in 2019 and just bought it to wear to a wedding 😅
5. Host a clothes swap evening with friends.
6. Download the free app Ailuna, and join the Buy Nothing New challenge, which I co-wrote with a colleague. There’s a whole month of tips and reminders to enjoy!
Have fun and share your wins with Oxfam using the tag #SecondHandSeptember 💚 Have you got any favourite second hand retailers? Share them in the comments!